Sunday, December 6, 2009

Monster Energy Drink

It looks like Monster energy drink is the biggest sponsor for Georgia Tech. I often see the Monster vans parking in the campus and some Monster staffs giving free Monsters to Tech students. And during this dead week, they were sending the Monsters in the library. How smart they are! They know Georgia Tech Students need the Monsters to boost energy for studying!

I also got two Monsters from the One Night Stand on Friday. One is purple color (names MIXXD and another is orange color (names KHAOS). I drank the purple one today, which is a grape flavor taste. Honestly, it tastes really good, like grape Fanta and much better than Red Bull.
On the can, it says that Monster is the juice mixed energy drink, which contains B vitamins + Taurine +Ginseng +L-carnitine. Follow Michael Pollan's opinion, Monster is probably unhealthy for us because it makes a big health claim. So what does Monster exactly contain?


Calories 220, Sugars 54g, Calcium 40mg, Sodium 20mg. All these numbers are quite same as soft drinks.
Vitamin B: B2 3.4mg, B3 40mg, B6 4mg, B12 12mcg. I know Vitamin B is a scientific proven energy source
Taurine is 2000mg, Panax Ginseng 400mg. They are very unfamiliar to me.
Energy Blend 5000mg: Glucose, Caffeine, Guarana, L-Carnitine, Glucuronolactone, Inositol, Maltodextrin. I am extremely worried about this blend. First, I have no idea about most of them. Second, I think Glucuronolactone is unpronounceable for most people. Third, this blend contains seven ingredients, which are more than Pollan's suggestion of five ingredients in all. Fourth, the accurate amounts of these ingredients are very unclear. It can be 4999mg caffeine! Remember, the amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee is between 90mg-150mg.

I drank one when I felt sleepy this afternoon. Unfortunately, it does not work well for me. After drinking it, I still felt sleepy and then I had a terrible nap. Caffeine made me have a dreamy exhausted nap. I am still a little dizzy now. I do not know if it works for other people, but I am sure it is unhealthy food.

6 comments:

  1. Most energy drinks are widely thought to be unhealthy and I agree. Its mostly caffeine and sugar, and sugar doesn't even help keep you going throughout the day. In my experience, sodas and coffee work better than any energy drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Energy drinks don't work very well for me either. I find that they make my stomach upset and don't quite keep me up for very long when I need it too. I find that music and some good old soda does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its just so amazing that i can see the Monster everywhere in campus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monster energy drinks are actually what keep me up throughout these finals.I'm not a huge fan of their taste(in fact they actually taste like cough syrup)..But i still love them..My personal favorite is the 'blue' flavor

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate all forms of energy drinks... whether Red Bull or Monster or whatever. I feel they are sort of drugs that make you cheat life and your natural physical ability.

    Ok, most people depend on them for finals week in order to study better... but if this trend is unchecked, we may reach a point where taking exams is like working under performance-enhancing drugs, and we all know they were banned in competitive sports a long time ago. It's only a matter of time before these are banned in competitive examinations too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Energy drinks don't work very well for me either. I find that they make my stomach upset and don't quite keep me up for very long when I need it too. I find that music and some good old soda does the trick.
    monster energy drink reviews

    ReplyDelete