Saturday, December 5, 2009

This New Diet Thing

So in case anyone has been wondering how trying out Michael Pollan's way of living is going then here we go. It's actually not that hard at all. There were only a couple things I really had to give up and I've been doing fine without my South Beach cereal bars and oatmeal. When I started on this new diet, a big fear of mine was feeling weak because I have low blood sugar but I actually have yet to have a big crash. Usually, I'll have something that will just make my head start spinning but not yet. This is really reassuring to me because I might have finally found a diet that suits me. I have been cooking a lot more for myself, especially over the holiday break. I told my mom about what I was doing and I got a vibe filled with a mixture of impressed and annoyed. She already has to deal with my "I don't like that food" attitude, so now she just has it even worse. But I think that she truly likes the idea of eating true foods and not foods out of a box or can or bag or wherever they find to stuff "food." Mom and I actually prepared dinner together on my last night there which consisted of Chicken Stuffed Ravioli we made with a Olive Oil and Pesto sauce. Everything by the book. It was good, but we decided that over Winter Break we would work out some truly delectable dishes to serve for dinner. The greatest part was watching my younger sister tear into 6 raviolis and finishing them like a champ. Food for the family is exactly what came to mind. I can't wait to get back and start making dinner for the family. Since I'll have a lot more free time, I've promised to cook more for the family. Mom is constantly rushing and doing everything herself. I though it would be nice to either help with the burden or take it all together. This also let's me try out new ideas for recipes and try to feed my family some quality meals by Pollan's standards. I really want to start trying to cook a lot more with tofu.

Does anyone have any recipes that might work? I'm completely lost here.

4 comments:

  1. In order to have a healthy life, I am going to cook by myself during winter break~
    Try Mapo tofu~Thats the best tofu dish ever. I think you can find the flavorings in Chinatown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All props to you Brittany for continuing on this "new diet." :)

    I wish I could offer some recipes but most times I don't even know what the dish I am eating back home (I know that's pretty bad D=).

    My grandmother usually rushes and does everything herself too, which is slowly but surely becoming harder to watch. She is getting old and with arthritis, she has been getting into more accidents with the knife and stove. Perhaps I'll see if I can help her (assuming she doesn't become stubborn o.o) over the break.

    :) Thanks for the inspiration and hope the new diet bodes well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny that you mention South Beach diet. My parents were South Beath diet crazy people! When that came out they had all of the books and started buying everything that was supposively "better" to eat. However I must say thank you to them because they would still make the food we like even if they had to eat all of that fake "good food". I find it funny though because it didn't last long before they dropped it and we were all back to normal eating the same food at the dinner table. THANK GOD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how much this class has changed some of our lives so dramatically. I can confidently state that this class has changed my life more dramatically than Calculus, Chemistry, GT 1000... I mean, this is supposed to be an institute of TECHNOLOGY... yet we find students who are abhorring its very use... weird, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete