Monday, August 24, 2009

what i eat in china


This is very typical and traditional Chinese food. It is based on a Chinese desert, which name is "葱油饼”(literally in English is green-onion pancake). In different regions of China, people add various food and call it differently. You can add lettuce, egg, ham, bacon...anything you want.

These pictures were taken at 6 am when I was traveling in Beijing this summer (I am from Shanghai). And this "Beijing-Style-Green-Onion pancake" was made by a old female resident. She put lettuce and egg in it. As the picture shows, She cooked the pancake on her tricycle, which carried everything for cooking. Every morning between 6 to 8, she came out with the tricycle, cooking and selling her pancake. Guess how much each pancake is? The one in the picture was only 40 cents and it is delicious!

4 comments:

  1. Wow.... 40 cents ! This looks great.. I wished I was in China. China has a huge diversity in food. I heard nobody can complete tasting all of the different type of Chinese food. I miss the taste of Beijing Duck...

    Sorry lol got carried away XD Thanks for the pictures! Reminds me of good times eating chinese food

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! We've got an Asian Alliance going on here! Now I must post something about Indian street food...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was doing a language-immersion program in Shanghai during college, after I went jogging on the university track, I'd go to a similar stall to get a big plastic bag of steaming hot green-onion pancake....probably cancelled out all my efforts at staying fit, but it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg! i haven't eaten this in yearsssssssssss

    i'm so jealous. i went to beijing this summer, and i didn't even eat this.

    now you've made me hungry haha

    ReplyDelete