Friday, October 16, 2009

The Big Meal Debate

As we sat outside, waiting for our classroom, a couple classmates and I began discussing what we deemed our favorite meal of the day. I personally am torn between dinner and breakfast. Lunch is just the middle man in my eyes. I am aware that without breakfast my day is unheard of. Immediately upon waking up, I am hungry and debating what foods I am about to indulge. There have been nights I wake up around two with a grumbling stomach. However, dinner is utterly amazing! There are endless possibilities. As I see it, breakfast is fairly straightforward. The options include: eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, French toast etc. Dinner on the other hand can be inspired by different styles of cooking, the use of different meats, side dishes, and appetizers. Breakfast can even become dinner, but personally I am not a fan of dinner as breakfast. Dinner is a time to be creative with food combinations and feed cravings for various styles of food. It could be my lack of knowledge for other styles of breakfast, but I see only one line of breakfast food possibilities. I am unaware of types of Italian, Chinese, or Southern-style breakfast, however, I can name even more possibilities of styles of cooking.

How does everyone feel about their meals?

Can anyone suggest other types of breakfast foods from different cultures I am unaware of?

Thanks guys :)

7 comments:

  1. In terms of meals, my view closely reflects yours. I usually have breakfast and dinner, but not lunch. The days I happen to have lunch turn out to be ones on which I've skipped breakfast, followed by a late dinner.

    As for a change in breakfast fare, I've only tried different kinds of sandwiches, boiled peas/corn, cereal, omelets... not many options for me either. I guess if we need energy-dense foods early in the day, there's not much to choose anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since coming to tech i have become a big lunch fan. I think its because they serve burritos at brittain for lunch

    ReplyDelete
  3. My former housemate was from Japan, and she would eat a bowl of rice in the mornings with some furikake (seasoning) sprinkled on it.

    In Singapore, a popular breakfast consists of coconut jam spread on toast and a barely-boiled egg (cooked but still extremely runny)flavoured with soy-sauce and white pepper.

    Chinese breakfast involves rice-porridge, deep fried dough-sticks (you-tiao) dipped in salty soy-milk, and steamed buns with pork/vegetable/sweet bean/custard filling.

    I *heart* breakfast so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looooove breakfast for some reason. I want to try and spice up my breakfast life. I eat the same thing pretty much every morning. I still love it, but it's time to start getting new nutrients into this body of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure if I'm eating breakfast, lunch or dinner after I came to Georgia Tech... Usually my first meal is at 5 pm and then at 3 am.. So would the 3 am eating session count as breakfast?;;;;; Usually I eat ramen then ....

    However, traditionally Koreans eat rice, with several side dishes.. My family usually put whatever is left from yesterdays main dish as well...

    I'm not 100% sure because breakfast is something I always missed out on ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heart dinner. Like you said, there are sooooo many choices to choose from for dinner. I LOVE to eat so having many different choices excites me. Breakfast is amazing as well but you kind of get the same types of food every time you eat breakfast. However, I could never give up cinnamon toast crunch cereal or pancakes so I guess I love the same old food every morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breakfast is the best meal of the day by far. It helps me get the energy I need to live each day its fullest. I always feel after a good breakfast that it is going to be a good day.

    ReplyDelete