Sunday, October 4, 2009

Wash U Meal Plan

Hey everyone. I'm at Washington University in St. Louis right now visiting a friend. I'd just like to report on the food situation while I am here.

First off, they (at least my friend and most people I talk to) have a system of meal points. Instead of having a cafeteria and swiping per meal, you have a card with a certain amount of meals points that you get per day. One meal point translates directly to one dollar, and it can be spent in whatever fashion you choose. Instead of having cafeterias, there are several food places set up including Subway, an ice cream place, a Mexican place, etc.

A sandwich will cost about 5 meal points, and let's say if you get 25 meal points a day, there are still 20 more left on your card. These points roll over every day for the entire year, so you don't have to worry about wasting money when you skip a meal one day.

Also, this meal plan allows for a huge variety in foods that one can have. Rather than a simple selection of 10 different food items per meal, there are probably a dozen food places set up with a full menu list of items available at each.

I'm not really sure yet which one I prefer, but I can say that I have not heard of anyone complain about getting sick of the food here. If that's any indication, Wash U would win hands down.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds great, but a little bit complicated. And I think the most important thing is the food's taste. Though the meal plans at GT are not reasonable enough, I love the food at our dinning halls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have unlimited, but a concept like this at Georgia Tech would be interesting. I think a lot of people with a 14 meal plan would love to have their meals roll over each week (As far as I know, they don't..?), though the most I hear about it is "Ah, Im on my last meal of the week and its only Monday, :(".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is a interesting system. However, I am not sure I would be willing to sacrifice an "all-you-can-eat" system for one that has better food. The concept of eating as much as you want is more appealing to me than eating a slightly better tasting meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that Jake has a very interesting point here. I would like the freedom of eating what I want whenever I want. The only downside of eating at Georgia Tech is that we do not have any 24/7. Because sometimes I get hungry at 2 Am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wash u sounds like it has a much better meal plan than GT. i know sometimes i get sick of the food in brittain and woodies, so i will eat out. this wastes my money and makes me angry

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like what we have going better. I'm on the 14 meal a week plan and those are all you can eat which is something you just can't have at a real resturant. Also nobody has mentioned Buzz funds. Those are essentially equivalent to "meal points" except even more versatile. They can be used to buy books, wash your clothes, AND to eat out at other places besides Britain or Woodruff. There is Wingnuts, Quiznos, all the stuff in the food court and more.

    Oh and if you are hungry at 2 am, I believe that Wingnuts serves until 3 am.

    ReplyDelete