Monday, October 12, 2009

A little html

I found this while perusing the library's section on math (where I happened to be writing my blog post #2). While working on a tricky part of the paper that I still dont know if I did correctly, I found wandering the library to be a good distraction. During my wanderings, I found this in a book there:

Animal, Vegetable, or Minister?

After reading it, I could not help but think about putting it on the blog post since it ties to both food, which is the topic of our studies, and Tech, since everyone who comes to this crazy school has some proficiency with math. And I wanted to try out putting a hyperlink into a blog post, which is suprisingly easy.

To do it, you just type:

<a href="insert web address here">insert text to display here</a>

Also, one thing that I noticed in a lot of people's blog posts was the lack of tabs for paragraph beginnings. html is a pain because it recognizes any space as a single space, so you have to insert a special item in html formatting to get tabs to show up. This item is: &nbsp. Each time you type that in front of the paragraph, the paragraph beginning will be tabbed over one space. To do multiple spaces, you just do this as many times as you need. I used, if I remember correctly, 8 spaces for each of my tabs. In html, the following sentence would look like this:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspNow you know how to tab in html!

And the diplayed format would look like this:

        Now you know how to tab in html!

Sorry to those who are familiar with programming if I did not use the correct terminology for everything, but I have never used html before, and I found some of this stuff helpful.

To those of you, like me, who do not know how to use html, don't be afraid to type into google what you want to do in html. There is a lot on the internet on how to use it, and usually you can find exactly what you are looking for.

8 comments:

  1. lol yeah we jus finished learning html for our cs1371 lab 2 assignment....i found it extremely useful and fun too....and yeah used html formatting in blog post#2 too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a look at the pdf document for "Animal, Vegetable, Minister"...talk about quirky mathematician humour!

    Thanks for sharing the useful info about html!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't have to know html in order to post a hyperlink on your post. When composing, there is a button at the top which allows you to insert a hyperlink like a picture or a video. Just use that. Far easier in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the PDF, especially considering how closely the format related to my math professor's research papers. I kept relating the two the whole time I read it

    ReplyDelete
  5. While you don't need to know html, I am sure that it would help immensely. I often get quite frustrated with bloggers absurd formatting problems...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was only recently that we finished doing a lab for CS1371 where we had to make a website using HTML and CSS (on our own by the way).

    A helpful site in regards to HTML that we were directed to was: http://www.w3schools.com/html/

    It may be helpful in the future, especially engineering majors who have yet to take the "lovely" CS1371 class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, you are definitely right about easily finding html codes on google. For my CS 1371 project, I would have drastically failed without google. But thanks so much for the tab suggestion because I was trying to figure it out for the longest time, but then I just gave up :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. While you don't need to know HTML, it is certainly helpful and always a good thing to understand how something works on a deeper level. I for one get very easily pissed off at blogger when I'm trying to post. Its not very well coded and is a pain. However, after my lab for CS 1301 we had to design a web page. They didn't teach us how to do this at all, and only gave us a link to a site that could teach us.

    For those of you interested, HTML is only one side of designing a web page. The other half is CSS. HTML is more concerned with what your page has while CSS determines how it will look and be displayed. For the purposes of blogger, html is all you need to know. Here is the link to the site that taught me. I highly recommend it.

    http://htmldog.com/

    It has tutorials for HTML and CSS for beginners, intermediate, and advanced levels. You can learn pretty much all you need to know.

    ReplyDelete