Friday, October 16, 2009

Oh the Irony

So yesterday Britain had no dishes. As to why I can only speculate, (I assume the dishwasher was broken) but in place of plastic dishes they were using disposable styrofoam dishes. Every single plate and every single cup was made of styrofoam. I can only imagine the shear amounts of disposable dishes used that day.

Britain is open from 6am to 10pm and handles a large volume of students. Not only that, but some students get more than one plate and make more than one trip. In addition, each student is eating there two sometimes three or more times a day.

So whats the big deal? Well other than being extremely wasteful its not really, but what I did find ironic is that ALL over the Britain there are posters about how styrofoam is extremely bad and how it should not be used. Hypocrites!

5 comments:

  1. Agreed. Aren't they doing the same thing today? I know they had the disposable dishes this morning, but I didn't go there for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They did that at Woodruff not too long ago. I thought the same thing as I carried my fake plate full of food past the huge GoGreen poster on the wall. I guess I understand the need, but it's just hard to imagine how terrible our impact on the environment is just in one day's worth of styrofoam use. This is exactly what we are discussing in my Intro to Design class for Architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I have to agree with you guys. As Brittany says, it also happened at Woodruff a while ago. I heard Georgia Tech received around eight A's in 10 sections for greenness. However, dining hall is not one case of getting an A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only possible ligetimate excuse for this is if the dishwasher broke, and if it did, i don't understand why they didnt put up a sign or something to let us know. I was really angry when i came in and found the styrofoam stuff and would have been somewhat appeased if they had let us know why they had switched

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be interested to see the actual environmental impact of the Styrofoam versus the dishwater. Specifically, how much waste is created through the Styrofoam (how much is recycled/ is it recyclable?) versus how much energy is used to wash the dishes (how much water is wasted?).

    ReplyDelete