Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Atlanta-Journal Constitution Food Section

While I was sitting in the lifeguard office at work this weekend, I found myself reading The Atlanta-Journal Constitution's Food Section from Thursday, September 17. I realized that this is a major archive for food enthusiasts of all types. I was trying to focus on just one section of this paper, but there are simply too many I feel should be mentioned.

First, there is the main headline, "A twist on tradition for Jewish New Year." This article described not only the traditional format for Rosh Hashana, but also one caterer's slight twist on the New Year celebration. By reading the article, I learned that honey is not simply good for tea, but symbolizes prayer for a sweet year. Caterer, Annette Marcus, puts her spin on the traditional dishes served at the celebration. Rather than an apple or honey cake, she made a strudel out of the same ingredients. Instead of standard gravy, Marcus aimed for a sweeter, fruity concoction to cover the brisket served. All of Marcus's recipes are easily made Kosher considering the nature of the celebration.

Just below the main article, I found a listing similar to that of the Classifieds section. Instead of selling goods, this section sells skills. There are classes listed for canning foods this week as requested by one reader. In the bottom right-hand corner of the page, readers will find upcoming events. This week a food tasting and five course dinner are both listed.

The last part of this section that I found most noteworthy was the recipes. The section is laced with approximately a dozen recipes throughout. No theme seems to tie these recipes together which can be helpful to the reader who simply desires to test new waters. One recipe in particular caught my eye; I am not sure if I am intrigued half as much as I am disgusted at the sound of Banana Enchiladas. When I think of bananas, I simply do not think of traditional Mexican food. Although I have heard bananas are great in desserts, I simply cannot imagine eating warm bananas.

If you are ever looking for a quick read or a new recipe to try, this section can definitely help. I was fascinated with the readings for over an hour despite the articles being short and concise.

Bon Appetit

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... its kinda funny how a well-circulated paper like the International Herald Tribune (published by the NYT) doesn't have a food section (I used to subscribe to the IHT back in Kuwait), but a regional one like the AJC does, and that too with recipes...

    What I found on the IHT were pages after pages of fashion show reports and designer clothing. Some newspapers need to set their priorities more to the tune of AJC. I really didn't know about this... guess I'll subscribe to the AJC now...

    ReplyDelete