Sunday, September 27, 2009

Revised Blog Post 1

A Southern Treat to Bring the Family Together

The fried pie is a wonderful delicacy originating from the South. This aromatic pastry is a family tradition that originated long before my birth. The tantalizing aroma of simmering peaches and apricots, as well as the decadent taste of the pastry, generate feelings of warmth, love, and togetherness and remind me of many happy times with my grandmother, Meemaw.

A native of Birmingham, Alabama, Meemaw lived on Shades Mountain with a large, extended family. Her closely knit family consisted of parents, older siblings with spouses, and numerous nephew and nieces. Food was an important priority for survival of the group, especially during lean times. Although cooking was a necessity, a merry time was had by all members of her family. The fried pie was born from one of those fun times. The original recipe of this sweet treat comprised fresh peaches and apricots, boiled and rolled up inside of homemade biscuits. Modern convenience has altered the original recipe; dried fruit is utilized instead of fresh fruit, and canned biscuits are a substitute for homemade ones.


My family and I lived with Meemaw for the first three years of my life. She would care for me while my parents worked. She taught me how to count using a deck of cards, and taught me letter recognition and simple words. She always played games with me. Although my brother came along just after my first birthday and interrupted my dominance of her attention, Meemaw never played favorites. My family was quite large with all the aunts, uncles, and cousins. When various family members visited, additional plates were set at the table. Laughter would echo through the house. There would always be a card or board game in progress; someone would be sewing, knitting, watching television, or working on a car in the garage. While everyone else was busy, Meemaw would be in the kitchen frying up some pies for all to enjoy. Aunt Kay would beg Meemaw to make extra so she could take some home with her. While eating pies, my mom and her brothers would reminisce about goint to Alabama for family vacations. They always stayed with Aunt Cil, Meemaw's older sister. Meemaw and Aunt Cil would make fried pies and play dominoes. Meemaw's family would come see her at Aunt Cil's home. Everyone laughed about the good old days and just enjoyed both the time they shared with each other and the fried pies.

When I was born, my parents were living with Meemaw. After a few years we moved out, but I remember her making fried pies just for us. If I were very lucky, she would let me take some home. No matter what time of day we visited her, she would always whip up something to eat and play games with us. I enjoyed the feelings of closeness and warmth in her home and always felt welcomed and loved.

Meemaw had the amazing ability to make you feel welcome and a part of the family. It didn't matter if she just met you or if she had known you for years. Although Meemaw gave unconditional love, she did not pull any punches. If you asked for her advice, you ought to be prepared to hear it. Her form of welcome always involved food. She would always have a delicious treat on hand; a freshly baked cake, brownies, and others. The fried pies were by far my favorite.

During our recent family reunion, my mom and I made some fried pies. Those pies brought back so many memories of Meemaw. We reminisced about her and how she influenced our many decisions throughout our lives as well as about our childhood antics. We were able to share the many stories of Meemaw to those new to the family since she passed away.

Just like the fried pies she used to make, Meemaw was a one of a kind lady. You couldn't fail with her in your corner. Although she is no longer living, her memory is still alive and well through those fried pies. So if you want to add warmth and love to your home, make some fried pies. They are easy to fix and absolutely scrumptious. You can't fail as a host/hostess with this pastry on your table.

The recipe is as follows.

1 bag each of dried peaches and apricots.
2 cups sugar
3 cans of biscuits

Place the fruit in a pot with 1 cup of sugar and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for about a hour until the fruit is soft. Mash well.
Flatten out the biscuits on a floured surface. Place a spoonful of fruit on each biscuits, fold in half and seal. Fry the biscuits in a pan with vegetable oil for just a few minutes, turning them over so they are browned on each side. Dust with sugar.

Image "Fried Pies" Photograph (n.d.) From southernplate.com http://www.southernplate.com/2009/07/easy-fried-pies.html (accessed September 3, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment