Thursday, September 3, 2009

BLOG POST #1:FOOD FOR THOUGHT...!

You can’t have your cake and eat it too” I’m sure you’ve heard this one before-one of the most popular, primeval and satirical proverbs in the English language draws attention to the fact: Culinary and Tradition cannot be essentially demarcated! Culinary, in the generic sense is defined as the ‘art of cooking’; it is pellucid that cooking has developed not only as a means of survival but also is classified as a form of art based on its intricacies and finesse. Hence culinary or food in general has always played a primary role in people’s lives, especially in distant, exotic lands such as India, where each state secures its own cuisine.

Born and brought up in Chennai(A port on the South East coast of India; A bastion of Tamil culture), A staunch vegetarian ,I strongly value the South Indian cuisine, constituting multifarious dishes that differ in color, taste, texture and composition, each dish with an inviting aroma,perfect in taste. A well known, adored component, is the ‘dosa’ (also pronounced ‘dosai’ or ‘thosa’), a crepe made of rice and black lentils that completely entices a sampler with its exquisite aroma. Traditionally the ‘dosa’ may be served along with a number of side dishes such as ‘sambhar’, ‘chutney’ , ‘molagai podi’ or Indian pickle.A ‘dosa’ constitutes a number of variants, including the ‘masala dosa’(made with a filling of potatoes) which has its origins in the Indian state of Karnataka. This South Indian ubiquitous dish can be consumed during breakfast, lunch as well as dinner. The ‘dosa’ white or brown in color, varies in texture: It may be created crispy to perfection (which is how the majority enjoy it) or soft, such that just the thought of it would be a satisfaction of a lifetime.

Alas!I frequently conjure up the sultry days in May when the mere sound and intense aroma of a sizzling hot ‘dosa’ fried on a hot ebony pan, smeared with hot oil, would be sufficient to rouse me on Sunday mornings after a 12 hour long slumber. “Leave me alone!” my sister would exclaim ,in a somnolent tone, trying to deflate my bubble of excitement, with no gain. Running downstairs to claim my share,I would heartily gorge down four and ask for more. The entire family would simply enjoy this atmosphere of togetherness and intimacy , at the dining table. I often reminisce about typical Sunday mornings such as these ,when I’m far far away from home, family and friends, longing for that ‘pancake’ that remains scarce on western land.I often reminisce about times during traditional festivals or family gatherings when a number of ‘masala dosas’ would be cooked, to feed an enormous group of talking, laughing, hungry souls.I often reminisce about times when a small sample of ‘dosa’ dabbed in ‘sambhar’ would put me in a good mood, lasting the entire day. A day trip to the local South Indian restaurant would be an excitement of a lifetime(although we practically visited the same restaurant every weekend!). Below is a recipe of the dosa.Viewers taunt you’re gustatory senses!

Ingrediants
Dosa shell:

1 1/2 cups rice
1/2 cup urad dal

lPreparation:

Masala Filling:
2 large potatoes
1 medium onion (chopped)
1/2 teaspoon yellow split peas
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1-2 green chili
1 tablespoon oil
salt to taste

Dosa shell

· Separately soak rice and urad dal at least 6 hour or overnight in water.

· Grind to paste.

· Mix together, add salt with water to make batter.

· Leave in room temperature overnight.

· Mix onion and chilies to the thin batter.

· Heat pan or griddle with little ghee or oil.

· Spread the mix on pan in circular motion to make thin Dosa.

· Cook on both the sides, if desired.

Masala Filling (Spicy Filling):

· Heat oil. Add mustard seed, peas, onions and spice.

· Fry for about 5 minutes on medium heat or/until onions are turned into golden brown

· Add potatoes and mix and cook some more Serve

· Add filling inside Dosa and roll. Serve hot with Chutney.

v18

Top:A delicious masala dosa served with chutney and sambhar.

. Well I woud’nt necessarily say that the vast South Indian cuisine is limited to only the ‘dosa’. Another integral component is the ‘idli’,a fermented rice cake savory, popular in Tamil Nadu. Most often eaten at breakfast or as a snack, idlis are usually served in pairs with chutney, sambar, or other accompaniments. Mixtures of crushed dry spices such as milagai podi are the preferred condiment for idlis eaten on the go.. My favourite dish to eat alongside the ‘idli’ is the ‘vada’-a disc shaped savory dish consumed with ‘sambhar’ or ‘chutney’.

Ambling along the dank pavement at 6:30 a.m. on a Saturday morning, tiny footsteps ,taken one at a time, a small boy walked alongside his grandfather ,excited to take the short trip to the local ‘idli’ stall to pick up breakfast.Yes, for those who could not guess, that was me approximately 11 years ago, overwhelmed with a mixture of enthusiasm and an expectation of hot ‘idli’ on that cold, dusky morning. “Where are we going grandfather?”I asked enthusiastically, already knowing the answer. “We are going to get some idli,your favourite!”,he retorted, trying to reciprocate my excitement.We then carried home the hot ‘idli’ and ‘vada’ wrapped in gigantic banana leaves and enjoyed them along with my grandmother,all the while explaining to her about the little ‘adventure’ that we had encountered.AH!I don’t mean to sound cliché when I say this but, “Those were the days!!”.

Top: idli& vada with chutney and sambhar, served traditionally on a banana leaf

Rice!A grain that sustains a large portion of the Indian population, is traditionally eaten with ‘sambhar’ ‘rasam’ or ‘dhal’,alongside a multitude of tasty vegetables and curries and consumed with extras such as ‘pappad’. My mother always found it a bit of an impossible task to convince me to eat rice. Yes, I guess to be South Indian and to not eat rice is a bit queer, but that’s my case.After all India is one of the largest consumers of the staple food crop.But I was never a big fan of rice.Picture this:My sister and I, seated at the dining table complaining about how we were too full for rice.Well that beats the point considering my sister emptied half onto my plate and somehow got away with it!But now that I realize it, I have always had a soft spot for the dish.I clearly remember the days when my cousins and I, indulged in ‘rice pranks’ in which we secretly fed the rice to the crows ,stole the ‘pappad’ or emptied the rice half onto each others’ plates.Now that I’m unable to eat rice, I feel its absence and its significance as a part of our daily lunch,representing not only our tradition,but also South Indian culture.

Top:rice with sambhar and potato curry

I often feel contented whenever I think about previous memories of home but only now have I realized that these memories are primarily moulded by memories of exquisite traditional food and dining.A picture may be worth a thousand words(satisfying this blog),But the real essence of the above samples lies in the tradition that it holds and the culture that it contains(In other words visit Incredible India and prepare to be overwhelmed!!:-D).

Aakash Arun

Recipe courtesy:www.indianfoodforever.com

Image courtesy:

masala dosa:www.indianfoodforever.com

idli:www.andhrachef.com

Sambhar rice:www.srirambala.com



2 comments:

  1. Your article was very good and very well-written, but the outsized fonts made it very hard to go through. If you can, change the font/font size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i just changed it.thanks for the input..:-)

    ReplyDelete