Thursday, September 3, 2009

Blog Post #1: There's no place like home...

There's no place like home....

Ever since I was little, I always preferred to stay at home for dinner, rather then going out to a favorite restaurant. My friends would talk about the steak at On The Boarder or the chicken tenders at T.G.I.F. When I’m asked my favorite meal, I always say, “Whatever my mom is cooking.” Why go out? Why spend money? Dinner at home has always been my time to bond with my family and is not something I would pass up.

My background is primarily German with my grandparents immigrating over to the US after my Opa (German for grandpa) was able to escape prison after being captured in a German U-boat in World War II. (FYI My Opa was not a nazi!! He had no choice but to join!!!!) He went back to pick up my Oma (German for grandma) and together they moved to Brooklyn in New York City. And with them they brought my favorite types of German food, which I have grown up on. My Oma is an amazing cook and there is nothing like her cooking. My Oma was born in Rothenburg and grew up with 12 other siblings and it was her responsibility to be the cook with her other sisters. Therefore, she has an array of knowledge in cooking. Anyways, my mother was given birth to a couple years later after arriving in New York and all of my Oma’s lessons were passed on to her. I guess I have been spoiled my entire life having these scrumptious dinners such as warm, stomach-filling bratwurst with sauerkraut or fresh out of the oven leberkaese on a bread roll. My family’s cooking has always brought my family together and so it is my goal, that when I have a family when I get older, to unite my family through my cooking.

My Oma and Opa enjoying lunch while in Rothenburg Germany. Opa is eating what I am cooking however with a different type of noodle called spaetzle.

However, I have not yet to learn these skills myself. For, I am sad to say, the culinary skills my mother has, seems to have passed through my genes and only were given to my sister. Sad right? But now, I will, or at least attempt to make one of my favorite German noodles, kaese nudeln (more commonly known as Cheese Noodles). Oh and just a heads up, do know how to get to the store because due to my lack of direction it look me a hour and a half to get to Publix. Remember, Mapquest is your best friend.

Anyways, let’s continue my journey to divulge myself into the art of cooking German food. Let’s start:


Kaese Nudeln (Cheese Noodles)

Ingredients:

8 oz of sour cream (regular, not the low fat stuff)

1 egg

8 oz of grated Swiss cheese (either find some already shredded within a bag or purchase a grater and grate 8 oz of Swiss cheese; I found buying shredded cheese the easiest.)

1 package Light 'n Fluffy egg noodles (extra wide) 12 oz

Plus a 3 quart covered casserole dish (you can use a smaller dish but it will take multiple bakings)

1. Cook noodles as directions state on back of package... then drain.

2. Mix sour cream together with the one egg, and then mix in the 8 oz of swiss cheese. You may have to use your hands to get it completely mixed.

3. Preheat oven to 350.

4. Grease the inside of your casserole dish with margarine. Combine cooked noodles with the sour cream mixture thoroughly, might need to dig in there with your hands again.

5. Bake for 30 minutes.

You will want the top of the noodles to be slightly crunchy while the bottom layer to be cheesy and creamy. Yumm.


Success! The finish product of the noodles!

I also recommend sprinkling some salt on the top since apparently Americans don’t like Swiss as much as Germans do.

At the completion of my cooking experiment, the food came out looking correct so I had several friends sample it. Funnily enough, my German friend loved it while it was an ‘acquired’ taste to others (all of them commented it needed salt). Did I mention that no one said it was horrible?? Therefore, I successfully made a German meal! Maybe when I get older, I will be like my mother and oma, letting the kitchen be a place for the family to come together.




Germany is not only famous for their delicious noodles and cheeses, but also for their amazing desserts; Desserts that luckily my family know how to make. When I visited Germany a couple years back I was always amazed by the foods my Aunts would place on the table. Let’s just say, it’s easy to gain the freshman ‘15’ in just two weeks when you visit my family in Germany. For every time I walked into one of their houses I would get the ‘pinched’ cheeks and either my Aunt or Uncle commenting, “Do you eat child?? You are skin and bones! Doesn’t your mother feed you?!” And then they would proceed to push food in front of face and coerce me to eat it. Honestly, who am I to refuse?

The one dessert that I always succumb too would have to be the raspberry and peach cakes that my family in Germany and at home make. Ever since I was little I remember my Oma and Mom making these scrumptious cakes that seemed to melt in my mouth with every bite I took. My sister and I would sit on the counter and ‘help’ which usually consisted of eating leftover peachs or raspberrys.


The raspberry and peach cakes my family makes. Looks like they were bought from a shop, no?

Cooking is a bonding time especially at dinner when everyone has a chance to talk about what they want in the peace of their home. No loud people in the booth next to you complaining about their job or an arguing couple. No. For at home, you can relax, take off your shoes, and eat a delicious home cooked meal. For though this may sound cheesy and clique, there is no place like home for the authentic tasting meal of your culture and great company like your family.

~~~All photos were taken by either myself, a friend, or a family member ~~~

2 comments:

  1. Opa also means brother in Korean... weird lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opa also means grandfather in Indonesian! (But it's because the Dutch colonized us...and I guess Dutch has similarities with German).

    ReplyDelete