Friday, September 25, 2009

Varsity

At Faset 5, all the freshmen were told that Varsity is one of the tradition of Georgia Tech. My friends told me once that the Varsity has the world largest "drive-thru". I went to the Varsity with my friends with some sort of high expectation. The actual size of the building of the Varsity was dominating for a fast food restaurant. I ordered two double cheeseburgers and some onion rings, but my first impression of the food I ordered was "Did I order children meal?." Literally, the cheeseburgers were half the size of those from Macdonald's. I was hoping it would taste somewhat better than the way it looks, but it turns out they are very greasy. I had some disappointing expressions on my face, and my friend said, "Welcome to the South!" with big smiles.
It is quite interesting how the Varsity manages to exist with such food full of oil and fat for more than 80 years. But It is worth trying some real southern food!

6 comments:

  1. I got the same treatment at faset with all of their praise about the varsity. However thinking back, of all of the positive things they said, they never said the food was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, during my orientation, everybody told me to eat out at the Varsity, and not for its food (which they clearly mentioned was horrible), but because its a Georgia Tech freshman tradition to eat at the Varsity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The food at the Varsity has gone down hill over time. When I was young I use to go to the Varsity when we would be traveling through the city. The burgers use to be a little bigger, but something that hasn't changed is the milkshakes. They are still good as ever. next time you go you have to pick up a milkshake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you eat at The Varsity, it literally takes a month to digest the meals. The Varsity presents a nostalgic feel in order to get customers rather than serve good food. Unlike other fast food restaurant, I'm fairly sure The Varsity hasn't changed the size of their burgers since they opened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went there during my orientation with my friends too. I ordered hot dog and onion rings. they were quite good.
    I really love the arrangement of seats there. The restaurant looked like a classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, a main ingredient in the varsity's food, no matter what type of meal you order, is grease. I've eaten there multiple times, and if you're not prepared for the food, youre almost guarenteed a complimentary stomach ache. But yes, it is worth a shot at trying it, and some of the food isn't actually all that bad!

    ReplyDelete