Monday, November 16, 2009

About Renaissance



Last Saturday, I went to Renaissance with my boyfriend for his fraternity chatering. It was a great night, eating and partying there, it was fancy too.

Well, we ate on the 25th floor and stayed there. By the time we started eating, most of us were already super hungry.

The first dish was salad. Not a huge plate, but what were on the plate were really good: fresh looking and fresh taste too. The carrots and radish were refreshing and sweet, the tomatoes were small but taste wonderful as if they were just collected from the garden. I usually do not like salad dressing, but this time, I loved it. It was white, creamish, and had a attrative aroma, the flavor mixed with the raw veggies was so wonderful.

After that was bread, it was small pieces of bread which smelled so good. After buttering the thick, fragrant butter, it almost melted in my mouth.

Finally came the main dish. I was so excited that I could not wait to taste the greatness. However, there was none. It was grilled chicken with mashed potato and veggies. The first thing came into my mind was: it looked and smelled like the food provided on the plane... Very blank and nothing special, the chicken was so dried that I did not even finish it(while I always finish my food!). The skin of the potatoes were still in the mashed potato, which did not taste any good at all. The veggies were a little bit overcooked and reminded me of the veggies in Brittain...

At last was the dessert. It was cake. My friends said it was good, and my boyfriend loved it! I am not sure though, it was too sweet, and I did not finish it either. But beside the over-sweet flavor, it was good. I took a bite, and it melted in my mouth very fast while the taste of chocolate and cheese mixed together perfectly.

(I really want to ask them a question, why not good main dish???)

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm... thats a unique experience. i think what you may be suffering from is the disappointment in other restaurants dining. We tend to forget this, but the food in Woodruff and Brittain is selected and prepared by top-notch chefs. The absence of an ambiance in dining hall food somehow reduces the quality of it, but when the same food is served in a five-star place, it suddenly seems so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting. Usually when the appetizer is delicious you know you are in for a treat when it comes to the main dish. That has to be very disappointing. Then again, you can't really mess up a good salad so maybe your expectations were high because the salad was good. Regardless of whether you can cook or not, salads come out tasty with the right dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. huh, that's dissapointing. i've had chicken in other places that are very delicious, and i do not see why the main dish is not good though the appetizers and the desert were delicious. perhaps you could ask to speak to the chef? haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the problem was that the restaraunt was cooking for a big party. When restaraunts cook for a large party and include a set menu, they have to cook food in large quantaties, so the quality goes down a little. Maybe salads are easier to mass produce than chicken or mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete