Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving-a normal Thursday

Thanksgiving!!!!!!! It is not exciting for me. Just like most international students, I stayed in school to celebrate the Thanksgiving. On Wednesday night, I ate one and a half pounds Wingnuts with my Chinese friend (Sorry to Michael Pollan. I know it is unhealthy, but it is the only food I can find in campus). And I played Super Smash Bros and watched South Park until 4 am. On the Thanksgiving, I woke up around 2 pm and ate an energy bar for brunch (Sorry to Michael Pollan agian). Then I went out to play basketball alone. School was extremely quiet. Only fallen leaves are everywhere, which made me feel like I was the last person in the world. What was the Thanksgiving dinner? Seafood flavor Korean ramen noodles! (Michael Pollan probably wants to kill me).

Somehow, I do not like Thanksgiving because it is probably the only moment I will miss my home. Although we have four days break, I hate saying goodbye to my friends. Every time, when I see my friends so excited to go back home, I always feel quite sad and lonely. Now, even the blog posts are mostly about home, family, and Thanksgiving dinner. I know I have to get used to it, but sometimes I cannot control my emotion.

Since there was nothing to do during the Thanksgiving, I did some research about Thanksgiving food. Different from Christmas, Thanksgiving is originated from America. It is the most traditional festival for Americans. Turkey is one of the most important food during the Thanksgiving. It is a large game bird and related to the grouse and the pheasant, but it is native to North America. Turkeys have been roasted for harvest feasts since the first European settlers came to North America. Another symbol of Thanksgiving is the Cornucopia, but I have never seen it in America. It is a goat's horn overflowing with fruit, flowers, and grains. It is a symbol of prosperity.


Information from International Buzz

3 comments:

  1. They should've opened atleast one of the dining halls or tech square i feel,since every restaurant was closed during thanksgiving...i was in the same fix as you and ended up eating a lot of hershey chcolate bars(hahahha)....but all in all i had a lot of fun during thanksgiving and i am thankful that we got the holidays...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is understandable that dining halls are closed. The employees probably also wanted to spend their time with their family instead of cooking and washing dishes. But, it was great that at least I could have relaxing and quiet time in campus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so sad and lonely. :( At least it is a good time to relax by yourself. They really should have something open for food to the students that stayed. I almost stayed so I could go to the game, but decided I would rather see family and friends. Yeah, lol, Pollan might have a problem with those meals. It is hard to eat to his strictest standards, but if you want to follow his guidelines and do the best you can with what you have, you are probably ok. :) Yeah, turkey is so good when it is prepared right.

    ReplyDelete