Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving at Home


Thanksgiving Dining Experience This thanksgiving, I went back to Indiana, where my host family was to spend the thanksgiving with them. It was really cold over there when I got there on Wednesday, I felt like it was going to snow the next day. But home is always a warm place that it drove all the coldness away.

On thanksgiving day, 23 people were in our house. There were the grandparents, the uncles, aunts and the kids. The elders were talking and greeting to each other, the kids were running around and laughing while the others were busy preparing the food. Our house was not a big one, so it was crowded and messy, but it felt so warm and happy.


Before the meal, we all gathered around to pray together. With my eyes closed, hands holding together, a sense of peace and safe rose in my heart. Our house was not a big one, so everybody was standing next to each other to pray but I was really thankful to GOD for offering us such a sweet family.
After praying, we all got a plate in our hands and waited in line to get our food one by one. As usual, grandma brought us fresh raw shrimps with home-made salsa, chicken noodle and some sweet desserts, aunt Charleen brought us her stuffed eggs while we cooked the other main dishes at home. We made sweet potato with mashmelow, mash potatoes, chicken-with-veggie pie, cranberry pie and broccoli salad, also, there were 3 roasted turkeys! Our house was not a big one, so we set up 4 tables for people to sit, but as it was a family, no matter where we sat, it was fun and enjoyable.

I was so grateful to the food. The roasted turkey was so juicy and cooked just enough that I never liked any other ones that much. The egg yolk of the stuffed eggs was well mixed with
sweet-sour sauce, salt and coco powder,it was cold, sour and sweet, it was melting in my mouth while I was chewing the delicate egg white. No doubt that this is the must-have-cuisine of every family meal. Sweet potato with mashmelow was amazingly cute. It looked like a brown-golden hill with white flowers. The mashmelow were puffy and the cover was crispy while the inside was melted and soft, it was good, but a little bit too sweet. The raw shrimp with home made salsa was incredibly good that I only got three of them before they were grabbed all which was such a pity! Moreover, the cranberry pie was sour but delicious., tthe broccoli salad was refreshing, the chicken-with-veggie pie was juicy and tender... At last was the dessert, it was chocolate pie with walnut. I usually do not like walnut, but this time was different. It was crispy and fragrant inside the soft and sweet chocolate which was fantastic! Our house was not a big one, so that we did not have a lot of space to eat and have a comfortable position, but the food was so good that we forgot the inconvenience, all that left was the attractive aroma of the food and the warm feeling in our hearts...


I am so happy that I have a family here in America that I could spend this wonderful thanksgiving with. And even we are not blood related, it is still a family. Just like, the house is not s big one, but it is still a home.

2 comments:

  1. so jealous...my host family was in Massachusetts. I remembered to eat the thanksgiving dinner with them last year. The sweet photo was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very interested in this. So do you guys have like a family that sponors you when you come to the United States? I had and exchange student once from France and he stayed with us for like 2 weeks. I had a blast and learned a lot from about the rest of the world from the things he told me. So I think that is really cool that people sponor you guys like that.

    ReplyDelete