Sunday, November 1, 2009

Ratatouille

So what is everyone's impression of Ratatouille so far?
It is my first time watching this film, but I had heard so much about it. So far it has definitely lived up to my expectations. I find myself laughing throughout the whole film. I'm so excited for English tomorrow.
One food-related topic I found very interesting was the fact that Remy was able to take a horribly-cooked soup and turn it into something marvelous. I have never really tried cooking beyond basic foods and I was just curious as to whether chefs truly can do that in real life (obviously the movie over-exaggerates it). I think it would be cool to watch a chef turn a culinary disaster into something people enjoy.
What are your opinions of the film so far? Also, is there anything that struck you as particularly interesting?

6 comments:

  1. I really like the film. It is right on par with all the other Pixar films. What I found interesting was that when they were making the movie, Pixar had the producer intern at Thomas Keller's French Laundry restaurant. Thomas Keller is one of the more famous chefs in the world and French Laundry is a highly rated restaurant as well. I bet that was an interesting experience to work in a world famous kitchen for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen Ratatouille before and it never gets old. I like how it is set in France and the Rats are all related. I couldn't imagine anyone who wouldn't like this. It got a 96% on Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ratatouille/).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen the movie before too, and I must say that I was particularly intrigued by the stereotypical portrayal of the restaurant critic. It almost surprises me now, but before taking this course... that's exactly how I imagined them to be. Of course, I hadn't heard of Ruth Reichl back then... I've just realized how much I've learned in this course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the rats. They're so chubby but cute, especially the protagonist and his family. Every time I see Emil, he just makes me want to give him more grapes.

    However, I wish the title and its relation to the storyline was not so obvious or the storyline to be as predictable as it was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you. The movie is great. Not only this movie, but I love kids movies. I think they are hilarious and they just get funnier the older I get. The writers of the movies manage some really subtle humor sometimes that is hard to appreciate for the casual viewer. I think it is amazing that a movie can please so vast an audience. Is there any other genre of movie or writing that can cater to such a huge variety of people as animated childrens films? Anyone can enjoy them, and I especially enjoyed Ratatouille.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never previously seen the film, but everyone who i know who saw it said it was very good. I was somewhat skeptical, but after seeing it i have to admit that they were right, it was a film i really enjoyed

    ReplyDelete