Sunday, November 15, 2009

Face Value

I am really enjoying our class discussion about the book , "In defense of Food". I feel that this book provides a lot of great material to discuss. For one it is a great piece of literature that is easy to read , but also has a lot of scientific content . This is great for Georgia Tech students, because we are very logical thinkers, well most of us anyways. Another great part of this book is the argument it presents. I know there are people who have no interest in this book, but I find it very interesting. Probably the most interesting part of the book is that the author is not a scientist , but yet he is very skilled at lining up the facts in a way that makes it very easy for a reader to mistake his organization of facts for actual experience. I feel a little torn on whether I believe most of the things the book states or not. Most of this indecision spawns from the fact that he is trying to tell us that a lot of what we know is wrong. I feel it would be easier to believe if only a few things were wrong that we already knew. I sort of feel like it's The Matrix, where almost everything we knew about the food world is wrong. Like the food world has created an illusion that has blinded us from the truth.

So aside from my feelings what do you guys think about the book, and do you feel that some of his points may be over analyzing facts, or that he may be true about all of the things.

No comments:

Post a Comment