Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Love Big Food

I have realized that Americans love big food. Everything we eat is made better by getting more bang for our buck. If we get steak, we hope for the biggest cut possible. If we go out and are served less than expected, we complain. I know I do it. As I was standing in line waiting for Jazzman's coffee, I noticed the unnecessarily oversized baked goods. A rice crispy treat the size of a double-stacked burger from Wendy's. This is ridiculous. No wonder everyone is overweight. The fact that a company would sell this size food as standard makes me wonder who exactly is to blame. Companies make this proportion of food the only available to its customers. This must be the reason that Americans have come to accept whatever size they're given as acceptable; unless, of course, that size be not enough. I don't think I have ever heard a complaint of a serving being too big. The worst that will happen is the leftovers will be thrown in a box and taken home for tomorrow or later on tonight. But really, can Americans be the only ones to blame for oversized portions? Companies are giving us no other option and when one company serves up an inflated honey bun, the next company tries to double that size for the same price. This has left Americans feeding on these fake, oversized foods and reaping what some may construe as the benefits of a competitive market. Pollan says it is in our hands to stop the madness by refusing to purchase such items, but how much control does an individual with an appetite conditioned to expect large portions really have? This size, or what I like to call oversize, is what we have come to expect. I remember going to a certain donut store in Denver called Lamar's. The reason? Because their donuts are about three times the size of the standard donut. Amazing? Yes. Healthy? No. The size of the eclaire? About seven servings for one individual. And I guarantee you there are many people who would not think twice about going back for seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment