Friday, November 6, 2009

What's the best medicine to take?

So everyone has been discussing their personal complaints with dining hall and also many other interesting topics, but I would like to change it up a little bit. Now I do not know if you can consider medicine as "food" but it certainly goes into your mouth and with some you have to chew it. My friends and I went to Wal-Mart the other day because we have all been getting symptoms of the common cold and we were trying to decide what medicine is the best to take. So I was wondering what types of medicines you guys take when you have a headache, a sore throat, a stomach ache, or any other symptom you might have? I personally take DayQuil because it does not make me sleepy and still gets the job done of getting rid of my headache. However, today in English class I randomly started getting stomach pains and so I just took some Pepto Bismol for the first time. Has that helped anybody?

6 comments:

  1. I really don't think medicines for common colds are helpful. My school nurse told me medicines only make you feel your not sick by lessening fever and aches, but your still sick, only that you can't feel it. (Well, I'm not so sure about this.and depends on what you take in) Anyways, I prefer to eat as much vitamin as possible. Fresh fruits, pills, and tons of orange juice! Sleeping would help but being in college prevent people from having a lto of sleep :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. For allergies, my parents force me to take Claritin/Claridin (forgot how to spell it). Then for colds of any type, it is usually tylenol or aspirin.

    However, these medicines don't typically do the job for me (no idea why) so I usually don't get better until after a visit with the doctor. =\

    Sleep and vitamins are definitely steps in the right direction. Also, I've herd that aspirin (or advil?) did something to developing stomachs so it might not be wise to take that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with WonTaek. Medicines can only make you feel better. I'm new here so I don't know the names of medicins in America. I just want to say something interesting about medicine. I love "Halls", which is considered to be a kind of candy in China and other Asian countries such as Singapore. When I tried to find it in the food area in Target, I failed. I asked one of the staff and he told me it's in the pharmacy. I was amazed when I finally found "Halls" in the pharmacy. I have never thought that my favourite candy is a kind of medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For allergies, Claritin works wonders on me. The only problem is that I don't like having to rely on medicine, and if I take Claritin I have to take it daily to keep symptoms away. I guess that's the best I can hope for when my allergies kick in.
    For colds I know a lot of people use Sudafed. It clears up your sinuses pretty well and helps relieve most of the symptoms of colds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WonTaek: She might be right..in health my prof. said its not really a cure for the common cold. But its a great excuse to keep drinking orange juice...I LOVE orange juice!

    kvicente3: What did you hear about aspirin and stomachs??

    Qiqin: Halls is candy in China? Thats very interesting. Here, we only eat Halls when we have a sore throat. It is supposed to make your throat feel better but it never really works for me.

    George: Yeah, all of my friends use Sudafed so I will definitely be getting that the next time I go to Walmart. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just pop loads of tylenol haha. no joke though. when i'm sick i take 2 tylenol pills every 5 hours. probably bad for my body, but i can't afford to be sick.

    i also try to get lots of sleep (the key word is try )

    ReplyDelete