Thursday, November 5, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies - The Original

So I decided, what recipe is better than the original Chocolate Chip Cookies? Chocolate Cookies bring that warm fuzzy feeling when you come home from school and on your kitchen table, a batch awaits you along with a cold glass of milk. This is a everyday dream for me. However, there is one thing that always bugs me. I can always tell when cookies are originally made and when they are already prepared. Nothing is better than a chocolate cookie that has real love put into it. Therefore, I wanted to make some of my own homemade cookies and this is how I did it....

Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 12 ounce package semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375
In a large mixing bowl mix together butter and shortening.
NOTE: A electric mixer is not required; a whisk works just as well.
Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda, and salt.
Whisk together until smooth and then add the eggs and vanilla.
Slowly mix in the flour and the chocolate pieces.
NOTE: Do not put flour all in at once!! Put in 1/2 cup at a time.
Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a ungreased cookie pan.
Let it cook for 8-9 minutes, when the edges are light brown.
NOTE: You can leave it in the oven up to 13 minutes. This happened to me twice where I forgot to go back in time but when I did get them out, they still looked and tasted delicious.
Makes about 60 cookies.

Per Cookie Facts:

92 calories
5 g total fat (3 g saturated fat)
13 mg chol.
55 mg sodium
12 g carbs
1 g fiber
1 g protein

These cookies all came out delicious and one of the things that surprised me is that unlike the premixed cookies, these cookies were a light brown color instead of the deep brown color. They also tasted great and once again, my hall attacked the cookies with great gusto. With a glass of milk these cookies went down the throat with just the right amount of sweetness. :) You can also trade in the chocolate chips with other types of treats such as white chocolate chips, nuts, and what I did, M&Ms. A extra hint though, when you use M&Ms I suggest not mixing the M&Ms with the batter. First put the batter on to the pans and then put the M&Ms on the top. If you don't, the M&Ms tend to stick to the pan and make it hard to clean which becomes quite tedious and annoying...

Anyways! I hope you enjoy these cookies if you choose to make them. Nothing beats homemade chocolate chip cookies :)

1 comment:

  1. I like the notes and tips you put up there, you know, stuff like an electric mixer is not required, and alternatives. I feel most recipes in cookbooks are lacking in this aspect. They are way too rigid and don't encourage modifications and flexibility, which I believe are essential in cooking... a lot of things don't always work out for everybody.

    In that respect, I think I like Julia Child better... she was a lot more flexible and never gave the impression that it was "her way or the highway"

    ReplyDelete