Friday, November 6, 2009

Special Diets

Now when I use the word "diet," I'm referring to the actual food that a person consumes, not starving oneself to stay thin.

With that being established, I have realized as the semester has passed that the dining halls claim to be vegetarian friendly and guaranteed to serve meals for those on different special diets. I understand that not everything they serve I will be able or willing to eat. Because of my acid reflux, I cannot eat fried foods, greasy foods, foods with tomato or cheese based sauces (this includes pasta), I don't eat red meat or anything from a pig because of taste, and, because of my own vanity, I try to keep a 3:1 carb to protein ratio throughout the day as I eat. This is what a lifetime of athletic training has done to my diet. I also have a friend who is not quite as picky, but he is a vegetarian. I have only ten meals because I had a feeling the food would get boring after a while. But as the semester has passed, I have noticed fewer vegetarian dishes. In fact, I went four days eating the same meal each time I went into the dining hall: salad and turkey lunch meat. I know that I am a picky eater and I am faced with certain consequences for that. But I have also watched my friend walk out of the dining hall after eating a bowl of salad and make himself something in his room because there is NOTHING vegetarian and nutritional about the dishes being served that night. They cannot expect a vegetarian to live off salad and steamed vegetables. This is not being vegetarian, this is malnutrition. I must admit that the tofu dishes are usually the only things I end up eating because everything else is beef or pork or spaghetti. So could we please go back to the first month of school when I was actually able to eat and not leave the dining hall hungry?

4 comments:

  1. I also have a friend who is a vegetarian. He actually became a vegetarian because of a bet with another friend, and so he really does not know all that much about how he needs to obtain the necessary nutrients without eating meat. Now, would would assume that the vegetarian sections of the dining hall menus would allow for adequate nutrient consumption, but that has not been the case. The vegetarian options in the dining halls are severely limiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that you probably know about this, but in the off chance that you don't, the food court has some pretty substantial food. If you are on the meal plan, you can go there after 4 and get dinner using the meal plan. They have a good salad bar, soups, and a "homecooking" line that always has a vegetarian entree in addition to 2 sides. You are allowed to get 2 servings of all of this (quite alot of food) I highly reccomend going here if you are feeling sick of the dining halls

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually just recently tried the food there and I will certainly be going back more often. The salad bar is wonderful and the day I went the food was better than anything I have eaten here since the beginning of the semester (when the food was a LOT better than it is now).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is astonishing how dining halls feel the need to fry everything they serve us. One time at Brittain they had fried peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I don't even know how they came up with that one. Fortunately, I don't even like peanut butter in the first place, so I wasn't tempted to even try it out.

    ReplyDelete